Xholon - Stupid Model 12 - Bug Mortality and Reproduction

What is it

This is the 12th in a series of 16 "Stupid Models". It's intended as a starting point for learning how to develop grid and agent-based models using Xholon. It can also be used to compare Xholon with other agent-based modeling tools that have also implemented the Stupid Model series.

In this model, bugs can die and reproduce. When a bug reaches a size of 10.0, it produces 5 offspring and then dies. Each new bug has an initial size of 0.0, and is randomly placed within 3 spaces of where its parent was. Each time step there is a 5% probability that each bug will die (95% survival probablity), but this is only determined after it has moved and grown. The model now stops after 1000 time steps or when there are no more bugs.

Xholon features

Most of this behavior is implemented in the BugStupidModel12.java class.

Credits and references

Railsback, S., Lytinen, S., Grimm, V. (2005). StupidModel and Extensions: A Template and Teaching Tool for Agent-based Modeling Platforms.

Swarm page

Author's page