<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--Mon Jan 09 2012 21:29:10 GMT-0500 (EST)-->
Title: Newton's First Law of Motion
Description: Newton's First Law (Galileo's Law of Inertia).
Keywords: motion, rest, physics, kinematics
"Every body persists in its state of being at rest or of moving uniformly straight forward, except insofar as it is compelled to change its state by force impressed"
- Newton's restatement of Galileo's law of inertia
part a (at rest)
- a Rock at rest, on a field of grass, will not move
- a block of Ice on an area of Ice
- unbalanced force; two unequal forces pushing in opposite directions
part b (moving uniformly)
- a Ball in motion through the air
- ice will stop eventually because of friction, and air resistance
- ball will also stop because of air and ground friction, and because of gravity
- planets in motion don't stop because there's no friction
- airplane at constant velocity; passenger can't tell if the plane is moving
- from my frame of reference
There are no specific problems or numbers used in this video, so there's nothing specific to model. It's just an intro to the theory.